COVID-19 and the Christian School: Key Understandings and Correcting Misconceptions
Presented by: Ben McFarland, professor of biochemistry and chair of the department of chemistry and biochemistry at Seattle Pacific University in Seattle, WA
What exactly is a novel coronavirus and why are we shutting down schools and businesses to fight it? The human immune system has several branches that fight diseases, from the B cells that make antibodies to the T cells that search for viruses. Recent studies have shown how immunity to the novel coronavirus develops, opening the door to life-saving treatments or vaccines. As Christians and teachers, we can approach these findings and predictions with humility, faith, and hope as we look to the future. As we prepare for a complex school year with possible distancing and cohorting restrictions, this plenary session for all educators will deepen your own understanding of COVID-19 and prepare you to speak with your students and families about the pandemic with both wisdom and clarity.
Seeing Race through the Eyes of Faith
Presented by: Denley McIntosh, Change Management Lead at Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Christian organizations committed to a journey of discovery on race must begin by creating an atmosphere of openness and understanding among educators and leaders. This atmosphere creates space for meaningful and empathetic action that naturally flows out in the Spirit. This session will partner with attendees in the following: • to create space for conversation that goes beyond the session and improves our understanding of racial inclusion • to recognize biases and blind spots (and recognize that other people’s experiences are different than ours) and increase the collective need for diversity • to unearth assumptions about how to do activities, lessons and/or events that unintentionally exclude those of a visible minority • to discover some short- and long-term next steps to continue the journey of discovery and belonging for racial diversity
- Seeing Race through the Eyes of Faith - presentation slides
- Coloring in the White Jesus
- Athanasius – The Hidden Jewel of Christian History in Africa
- Flawed Statues: The Need for More Artwork or More Heartwork (Context)
- Here’s my challenge to white parents this school year (Today's Parent Magazine)
- Video: Andy Stanley - This Human Race
- Video: Kirk Franklin talks with Matt Crouch, Robert Morris, and Dr. Tony Evans
- Video: Righteous Justice (Meeting House)
- Video: Dr. Robin DiAngelo discusses 'White Fragility'